About Becoming a Center for Hospice Care Volunteer
Center for Hospice Care has one of the most extensive volunteer programs in Connecticut, with more than 100 people in the field. These volunteers are critical components of the interdisciplinary group and they are here to serve patients, families and staff.
For more information, please contact our volunteer department at 860-848-5699 or to request a callback, please use the form below. Thank you for your interest in volunteering for Center for Hospice Care.
- Companionship, emotional support, and friendly visits to hospice patients.
- Respite for caregivers, giving them the time they need to recharge.
- Support to families, including errands and medical equipment delivery.
- Specialty therapists who volunteer their expertise in reiki, therapeutic massage, reflexology and healing touchto reduce stress and promote well-being.
- Pet therapists who bring the unconditional love and comforting energy of dogs into the care environment.
- After a patient has died, Bereavement volunteers offer a rose to the caregiver, in remembrance of their loved one.
Administrative & Community Support
- Volunteers work at our Norwich office performing valuable assistance on a number of fronts: clerical, administrative, and in public communications.
- Community volunteers extend our reach into the area by attending events and serving as spokespersons for the history, mission, and efficacy of hospice and palliative care.
- As a nonprofit organization, Center for Hospice Care has an active Development program through which we secure donations, grants, and contributions from a range of sources. Fundraising volunteers work across all these areas.
- Fundraising volunteers also help to organize and staff events, another critical source of support for us.
- Center for Hospice Care volunteers must be age 18+.
- Patient Care volunteers must commit to at least 3–4 hours of service per week, and be available for at least 2 years.
- Application submission. Center for Hospice Care volunteers are screened similarly to employees and must complete all related paperwork.
- Interview. An initial interview with our Volunteer Program Manager is required to see if the candidate’s skills fit the program.
- Background/Motor Vehicle check. To protect all involved, these checks are mandatory.
- References. We supply a reference form that requires completion by 2 references, one of which must be professional. Complementary therapists must have 2 professional references.
- Tuberculosis Test. A one-time, free, 2-step screening done by Center for Hospice Care.
- Hepatitis B vaccination or Titer (optional). All prospective volunteers have the option for free Hep B vaccination and/or titer.
- Physician’s Certificate. Candidates must have a physician certify that they are free of infectious diseases and fit to perform volunteer duties.
- Training is mandatory, free, and provided by us.
- Patient care and Complementary Therapist volunteers must receive training that covers the physical, emotional, psychosocial and spiritual aspects of care.
- Complementary Therapist volunteers must attend an additional 1.0 hour session tailored to their discipline and role. They must also provide a current copy of their professional license/certificate for our files.
- Bereavement volunteers attend one additional session on their aspect of care.
- Pet Therapist volunteers attend one single session. They must also provide a copy of their professional training certification, proof of town registration, and animal vaccination documentation.
- Administrative and Community Support volunteers who will not have patient/family contact attend a single session.
Transportation & Insurance
- Reliable transportation and valid automobile insurance is required for all volunteers.
- Complementary Therapists and Pet Therapists must provide proof of liability insurance.
Consider Becoming a Volunteer
Volunteers are a powerful part of how Center for Hospice Care fulfills its mission. If you’re ready to explore how you can be a part of our team, start the application process with the link below. please print and fill out the volunteer application and mail it to:
Center for Hospice Care
227 Dunham Street
Norwich, CT 06360